Here are iWanSabi’s handpicked Top Nigeria Newspaper Headlines for Wednesday March 4, 2020. Read and be in the know!
NUC to deploy technology for statistical digest of Nigerian universities
- The National Universities Commission (NUC) says it will deploy technology for the collection and collation of statistical digest of Nigerian universities for the purpose of creating accurate and reliable data for effective planning and administration of the system.
- Executive Secretary of National Universities Commission (NUC), Professor Abubakar Rasheed, made this known at the opening ceremony of one-day meeting of the Commission with the Directors of Academic Planning and Information Technology from Nigerian universities.
- The census exercise would determine the number of students enrolled in Nigerian universities at various levels and programmes as well as gender, number of academic and non-academic staff, number of professors, PhD degree and Graduate Assistant Lecturers among others.
President Muhammadu Buhari appoints Bashir Jamoh to replace Peterside as NIMASA DG
- The president has approved the appointment of Bashir Jamoh as the Director-General of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA).
- By this appointment, Jamoh will replace Dakuku Peterside who was appointed in 2016 to head the maritime agency.
- Peterside’s tenure as NIMASA DG will be ending on March 10, 2020.
- Prior to Jimoh’s appointment, he was the Executive Director for Admin and Finance at NIMASA.
Coronavirus: Nigeria’s revenue declines, 2020 budget may be reviewed – Says Finance Minister
- The Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed, says the outbreak of coronavirus (Covid-19) has negatively impacted on Nigeria’s oil revenue, saying a mid-term review of the 2020 budget will be carried to reflect the realities on ground.
- The minister made this disclosure today at the State House, Abuja when she was fieldinf questions from State House correspondents at the end of the meeting of the Federal Executive Council (FEC).
- According to her, the international oil price has dropped to $52, below the budget benchmark of $57 per barrel, impacting negatively on the nation’s estimated revenue for the fiscal year.
- The minister, however, revealed that the oil nation’s oil production had increased between two million barrels and 2.1 million barrels per day.
“We are concerned in the current drop in oil price because it’s now below our budget.
“I am glad to inform you that our oil production as at today is two million barrel per day and at times slightly higher. That in its self will be a cushioning effect for us in the current oil price.
“We will do a mid-term review, and if the impact is so much, we will need to do an adjustment in the budget working together with the National Assembly.”
Civil Service News
President Buhari swears-in Folasade Yemi-Esan as new Head of Civil Service
- President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday March 4, 2020 swore in Dr Folasade Yemi-Esan as the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation (HOCSF).
- Buhari administered the oath of office on her before the commencement of the Federal Executive Council meeting which he presided at State House, Abuja.
- The swearing-in of the Head of Service, was witnessed by the Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo and cabinet ministers as well as presidential aides.
Coronavirus: Dangote donate N200m to fight outbreak of (COVID-19) in Nigeria
- The Aliko Dangote Foundation on March 3, 2020 pledged a whooping sum of N200million to support current effort of the Nigerian government towards curbing the spread of Corona Virus or Covid-19 in the country.
- It said N124million will be used NB to support facilities to help prevent, assess and respond to health events at Point of Entry to ensure National Health Security.